Ofcom has today published details for its Market Impact Assessment (MIA) of proposed changes to BBC Three, BBC iPlayer, BBC One and CBBC. The proposed changes include:
• the closure of BBC Three as a broadcast channel in the autumn of 2015;
• its reinvention as an online-only offer;
• the evolution of BBC iPlayer from primarily a catch-up service to one that also offers online-first BBC content, and selected third-party content;
• the launch of a ‘+1’ channel for BBC One;
• extended hours for CBBC; and
• increased investment in drama on BBC One.
The BBC Trust is undertaking a Public Value Test (PVT) of the proposals. As part of the PVT, Ofcom will carry out a Market Impact Assessment to examine the likely impact of the BBC’s service proposals on similar and related products and services.